19 Feb 2014

first impression: urban decay naked 3 palette

Hi lovelies!
 
I am soooo excited to do this post for you. I have literally been bouncing off the walls since I received this yesterday.
 
I am a huge fan of Urban Decay cosmetics. I have all the Naked palettes (1,2 and the Basics), their Naked foundation and some of their revolution lipsticks. I love everything, and have seriously considered buying more, but their price is stopping me in my tracks. If you know me, you would know that the original Naked palette is honestly my favourite eyeshadow palette of all time. I use it constantly on myself and others. I do like the Naked 2, but I tend to lean towards warmer shadows (the Naked 2 is cool toned). So when I heard that the Naked 3 was an actual thing (remember when everyone was saying that it was fake?), and that it would be a PINK warmed and cool toned ROSE GOLD palette, holy hell, I knew I had to get my hands on that.
 
When I went to New York last year, I was meant to be there from the 1st of December til the 7th, which meant I would've been there for the release of the Naked 3 palette on December 6th. However, my trip was moved up a week, and instead I returned home on the 1st instead of leaving, so I missed the release. As most Australians who love cosmetics know, Urban Decay is not available to buy over here. It is available online, but is incredibly overpriced when compared to the US price. So instead of buying it on BeautyBay, where it is over $80, I decided to wait until a family member went to the US and asked them to purchase it for me.
 

 
I, like most other females, love rose gold. And the packaging is rose gold. The excitement. Can't handle it.
 
The eyeshadows are encased a tin, similar to the Naked 2 palette. Its pretty easy to open, but not in the way that it is just going to fly open at first touch. It's pretty sturdy, so I know that this baby won't be opening unless I actually do it myself. I'm guessing that this will be good to travel with.
 

 
It also comes with samples of its well known Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, but instead of the teeny little bottle that it came with in the original Naked palette, it comes with four little samples the of original formula, a matte formula called Eden, a shimmering formula called Sin (which I assume is similar to the eyeshadow Sin) and an anti-aging formula. I personally prefer the bottle that came with the Naked palette, just because I think its more hygienic, and am partial to tiny versions of products. But, I am happy that this came with four different bases, which I didn't actually know they had, so that was a nice little surprise. I guess they're also catering to everyones needs, as the original formula may not work for everyone. That's pretty considerate, I'm impressed.
 
It also comes with a dual ended brush, similar to the one that came with the Naked 2 palette, but I forgot to get a photo of the brush itself.
 
 
Now to the actual palette..
 
I decided to dedicate this post to swatches of the eyeshadows in the palette. As the palette is pink and rose gold themed, the shadows really keep with this and almost all have a pink undertone to them. It is super romantic, and I only wish I had this to do a Valentines Day look for you guys, because this is literally Valentines Day in the form of an eyeshadow palette.
 
 

The shadows in the left half of the palette are:
 
Strange: A white highlight
Dust: A shimmery light pink
Burnout: A semi-shimmery mauve pink
Limit: A matte mauve pink
Buzz: Glittery pink. Is quite chunky, as you can see in the swatches above
Trick: A rose gold, and my favourite out of all shadows. It is tricky, like its name, to swatch. I think to get this colour to come up more you will have to wet your brush with some sort of setting spray.
 


 
The shadows in the right half of the palette are:
 
Nooner: A darker, purple-ly pink. Perfect transition shade
Liar: A purple-ly pinkish shimmery colour
Factory: A shimmery taupe, with pink undertones
Mugshot: A gunmetal grey, with shimmer
Darkside: A darker shimmery grey
Blackheart: A black colour, with pink shimmer throughout
 
So, is this palette worth it?
 
I believe it is. I think because it is so different to the other Naked palettes, you can create so many different looks with it. I love that they have a palette dedicated to pink shadows, and the palette has such a romantic feel to it. I am a lover of all the Naked palettes, as I said before, so I knew that the chances of me disliking this palette were slim. I think this has the perfect mix of warm and cool shades, so it has something for everyone. If you are someone who leans towards warm or cool neutral shades, and are looking for something different (but not too out of your comfort zone), I would definitely give it a try.
 
However, as I always recommend, I would definitely try to find it cheaper online, especially if you are Australian and use BeautyBay quite frequently. Don't get me wrong, I love BeautyBay and use it often myself, and in most cases their prices are fair for our market. But to charge $81.60AU for the palette isn't fair (even with free shipping), so I would have to say that the best option is to either use a shipping service and get it from Sephora, where it is $52US (around $55AU), or search online further. Do be careful though, because others have been duped with fakes!
 
Hope you enjoyed the first impression! Let me know in the comments below if you would like to see more of these posts, and keep your eyes peeled for tomorrows post which may be a tutorial on this palette ;)
 
*all products mentioned in this post were purchased by me, and opinions and photos are all my own*


No comments :

Post a Comment