16 Mar 2014

comparison: my bourjois foundations!

Hey guys!

I am a serial foundation junkie. If makeup was ever a crime, this would be my run in with the law. I can never decide on what foundations are my favourite! I'm always on the lookout for something better, and I'll honestly try anything that comes on the market. I always ask myself 'Bek, do you really need this? I'm sure you have a million others just sitting in your drawer waiting for you to give them some love.' Spoiler alert: my sensible mind never wins. I am now the proud owner of 31 foundations, all claiming to do different things for my appearance.

I have had a love affair with Bourjois products this month - but in particular with their foundations. I had always heard the rave reviews on their face products, but had never got around to actually purchasing any. Last month, I was searching through the ASOS website and saw that their Bourjois range was on sale. Because the price of Bourjois products in Australia is quite high, I jumped at the chance to buy two foundations and also a second bottle of their Happy Light Luminous Primer (I swear by this). They didn't have one foundation in particular though - and this happened to be the one I was really after. So, I bit the bullet and brought it in Priceline, thinking that I could do this post after I had trialled them.

Before I really get started on the post, I'll give a quick background on my skin and what I typically look for in a foundation. I have normal skin that leans a little dry, and I usually prefer medium to full coverage foundations due to the fact that I have redness that I like to cover up. I love dewy foundations, as I like my skin to look radiant, healthy and glowing. All three foundations that I picked up promised to do this, and having been switching between these three for about a month now, I thought it was time to tell you my views on them! These are all quite pricey in Australia, with the prices between $29-32AU. Hopefully, this post will shed some light on which you would like to try first!

Products pictured (l-r): Bourjois Healthy Mix Radiance Reveal Foundation, Bourjois Healthy Mix Serm Foundation, Bourjois Happy Light Foundation

Bourjois Healthy Mix Radiance Reveal Foundation

I really like this foundation! I find it has a more medium-full coverage, which is great for when my skin is looking a little worse for wear. I love that this doesn't look cakey anywhere on my face, yet still covers all my imperfections well. I tend to wear this on the days where my skin really isn't looking great, because it really just gives me an overall radiant and healthy complexion (just like its name). I do have one small complaint however. This foundation claims to last for up to 16 hours. I mean, I haven't worn it for 16 hours (does anyone?), but I do find that this does wear off quite easily. My foundation does tend to wear off in my t-zone over time - which is why I always set that area with a powder. But on my chin, around my mouth and nose.. This just doesn't hold as well as other foundations. But, I still really the finish and the coverage despite that! It just means more touch ups. This retails for $32AU in Priceline stores, or online for us Aussies.

Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation

You guys are probably sick of seeing this on my blog, but I have to mention it. I have been singing the praises of this foundation since I brought it. This was the one that I couldn't find on ASOS and, as such, resorted to paying the full price in Priceline. And I do not regret it one bit. I'm guessing this is the reformulated version of the original Healthy Mix, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Speaking as a foundation junkie, this is seriously my most reached for foundation - ever. It exceeded all my expectations, and the only time I don't wear it is when I need a fuller coverage. It just has the most beautiful finish, is super lightweight and does not cake whatsoever. AND, it lasts all day! Unlike the original Healthy Mix, I definitely believe that this would last the full 16 hours it claims to. I would say it a has light to medium coverage, but it is buildable. It just looks like my skin, but better.  Another thing is it smells amaaaaazing. Like really refreshing and fruity! On a serious note, I cannot live without this foundation in my life and I recommend the heck out of it. I will be repurchasing the second I run out! This retails for $32AU in Priceline stores

Bourjois Happy Light Foundation

I expected to love this foundation. The primer that goes along with it is quite possibly my most favourite primer ever. But, I guess the love affair had to hit a speed bump at some point. I really don't like this foundation. When researching online, all reviews said to buy a shade lighter than you usually buy (for reference, in the above foundations I am 32 Light Beige), as the shades for this foundation run quite dark. That was my first mistake.. This foundation has pink undertones. Because of that, I cannot wear it as it doesn't match the rest of my body. Other than that, I find it to be really cakey on my face, especially between my eyebrows and nose. I have to say, this surprised me, because the formula is quite liquidy and feels lightweight. Also, I do not see the luminous finish that this promises. Just overall, I am disappointed. I would put it down to the mismatch of colour, and try it again, but the other parts of my experience show that it just doesn't deliver what it promises (in my opinion). This retails for $29AU in Priceline stores.


Swatches (l-r): Bourjois Healthy Mix Radiance Reveal Foundation, Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation, Bourjois Happy Light Foundation
Swatches blended out

So, the love affair continues for at least two of these foundations. I'm also trying the Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream at the moment, and am loving it so far! I really think that Bourjois is a fantastic brand, and although I didn't love the Happy Light foundation as much as I thought I would, that doesn't mean that it won't work for you. But, as my favourite, I have to recommend everyone and their dog picks up the Healthy Mix Serum - seriously, I really doubt you'll regret it.

Do you love these foundations as well? What other products have you loved from Bourjois? Is there anything I desperately need to add to my collection?

Until next time...

xxxx

6 comments :

  1. I still need to get my hands on these foundations - Healthy Mix Radiance Reveal is next on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell yes you do - get on that asap and tell me if I'm right ;)

      Delete
  2. I have the Healthy Mix Serum Foundation and it is so fruity and fresh! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best of the best that one! Love everything about it xxx

      Delete
  3. I have oily combination skin. Will these work well on me?

    www.everybeautytalks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I don't see why not - if you set them with a powder you should be fine! I have normal skin and set them with a powder anyway. But then again, I've never experienced oily skin so maybe consult other reviews that have :) xxxx

      Delete