4 Mar 2014

my skin but better: make up to wear when you're sick

Hey guys!

Guess what's coming soon? The dreaded flu season. Being that we are only 4 days into Autumn, Sydney (whose weather is always up and down) is already starting to have that chill factor. Personally, I love the colder weather. I find it so much easier to get warm on a winters day, then to get cool on a day during summer. I'm so looking forward to busting out my hot milo, my flannelette sheets and all my cozy hoodies. But, I am not looking forward to getting sick. And unfortunately, in the last couple of days, that is exactly what has happened.

When we are sick, all we want to is crawl back into our beds, throw the doona over our heads and sleep it off. Maybe throw in a movie and a big mug of hot tea if we're feeling up to it. But, unfortunately, most of us can't afford to do that. We have lives! We have school, university, college, work and other leisure activities we would rather not miss out on. So, that means we have to suck it up, do our best to look presentable, and continue on our lives.



So todays post will be the products I choose when I'm feeling poorly, and why I choose them. Luckily for you guys (but not so for me), I am actually very much under the weather at the moment so this is a true to life make-up look! These products are what I choose when I need to look presentable at university or work, because unfortunately, most days I can't choose to opt out.


 Products pictured (l-r): L'Oreal Luminosity Code Colour Correcting Serum, Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturiser, L'Oreal Youth Code Rejuvenating Anti Wrinkle Eye Care Cream

When I am sick, my skin always feels pale and dehydrated. So before any make-up makes its way onto my face, I always make sure to moisturise. This just makes my skin look and feel rejuvenated and fresh, and my make-up always goes on well after applying these. I talk more about these products here in my Current Skincare Routine post, if you'd like to read more about my opinion of them.

The Original Beauty Blender

This is my favourite tool to apply my foundation and concealer with! This is the original Beauty Blender that I brought in the US for around $20USD, and it is amazing. It really helps your foundation to sink into your skin and look flawless and airbrushed, and I would really recommend using this over a brush when you are sick. Before using, hold it under lukewarm water until it is big and round, and squeeze the excess water. Not only will it apply your foundation and concealer, but the fact that it is soaked in water really helps to wake my skin up a little more, which is something I desperately need when I am sick. You do not need to buy the original, as it is quite pricey. A drugstore alternative will work just as well. (Side note - this is actually clean, but is stained because I use it so often :/)

 Products pictured (l-r): Bourjois Happy Light Luminous Primer, Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation, Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer

You would have seen me mention two of the above products here in my February Favourites, so I'll just touch on them in this post. Not only is the Bourjois primer my favourite primer at the moment, it is made to illuminate and hydrate your skin before applying the rest of your make-up. I find using a illuminating primer before putting on my foundation when I am sick really helps to make my overall appearance more awake and radiant, and this is quite honestly my favourite luminous primer that I have ever used.

If you are someone who prefers a lighter coverage when you are sick, I would recommend using a BB cream instead of a foundation. However, I am someone who just gravitates to foundation ahead of BB creams, and the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation is perfect for these times. It is lightweight, and is a light to medium coverage, which is enough to hide my imperfections without suffocating my skin.

Then I use the Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer under my eyes, and dabbing whatever excess is left over on the centre of my face. This just hides the dark circles that my foundation didn't cover, and any pimples or blemishes that may still be poking out.


 Products pictured (l-r): Face of Australia Translucent Loose Powder, MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Medium Deep, Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso

After putting on the foundation and concealer to hide the sallowness of my skin, I really want to set my face to stop it from wearing throughout the day. I would usually use a lighter powder, but I find that when I am under the weather, using a light powder makes me look a little sickly and pale. So, I usually use the Face of Australia Translucent Loose Powder over my concealer and my t-zone to set it as it doesn't change the colour of my face or add anymore coverage.

After that step, it is important to bring a little more life into my skin. Usually, I would skip the bronzing step and just use blush. But lately, I have been finding that the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish is perfect for just adding the right amount of colour to my cheeks without bronzing or contouring. I use a big fluffy brush and circle it lightly over my cheeks and temples . After that I just place a little of my blush onto the apples of my cheeks and blend it into the MSF. The Milani Baked blush is perfect, as it adds a healthy glow to your skin, and is essential to not looking sickly. By all means, skip the bronzer but always remember the blush!

 Products pictured (l-r): Revlon Colourstay Eyebrow Pencil, Rimmel Kajal Kohl Eyeliners in Brown and Black, Australis Eyeliner in Starbright, Max Factor False Lash Effect in Brown

I always do my brows - this is essential for me, because it frames my face and really lifts my appearance. After this, I tightline using the black eyeliner, as this gives the illusion that my lashes are fuller than they actually are. I then place the brown eyeliner into my bottom lash line, and blend it out with my fingers so the line isn't so harsh, and then place the white eyeliner in my waterline. Those two steps really open my eyes, and make them look bigger and more awake.

After using those steps, I always always always use mascara. Mascara is really an essential step for me, regardless of how I am feeling. I find the Max Factor False Lash Effect perfect because it is a brown mascara and it honestly make my lashes look so full and voluminous, but natural at the same time.

 TheBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer

This is a newer product to my collection, but after using it a couple of times, I really think that this is the perfect product for making my skin look all glowy and dewy. Which is exactly what I want when I am sick! I blend a little of this onto the high points of my cheekbones, a little on my cupids bow and then place it densely in the inner corners of my eye and brush whatever is leftover onto my eyelid. The Mary-Lou Manizer really gives my skin that extra oomph, and makes me look so bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Be careful with this product though - it is very pigmented, so a little goes a long way. It's very easy to look like a disco ball with this! 

Nyx Dewy Finish Finishing Spray

The last step I use on my face is a finishing spray. This NYX one is great, it not only sets your make-up to make it last throughout the day, it also helps it to really skin into your skin and look even more natural. I also find that this has a cooling effect, and that it perks up my face when I use it. It's also super afforable!

Products pictured (l-r): Revlon Colourburst Lip Butters in Raspberry Pie and Sorbet

Last, but not least, its time to bring some colour back into my lips! When I am feeling sick, I usually don't want to use a lipstick - even those with moisturising properties. I just feel like my lips are weighed down and I can feel them start to dry out. These Revlon Lip Butters are amazing though! They are almost a tinted balm, really moistursing but adding a wash of colour at the same time. For this look, I did end up using Sorbet (the lighter of the two), but Raspberry Pie would be perfect for the colder months!

And here is the finished look!




As you can see, my overall appearance just looks natural and radiant - which is exactly how I want to look under these circumstances! The make-up still looks healthy and glowing, but really understated. If I didn't know me, I wouldn't think I was sick at all!

Of course, not all of these products are necessary to achieve a natural make-up look. Really, it's all about what you feel comfortable with! If you are someone who just prefers to wear mascara and lipgloss when you are under the weather, wear that! If wearing a full coverage foundation with all the trimmings is something that makes you feel better, do that! If you prefer no make up at all when you're feeling crabby, go for it! It really is all about you feeling confident and happy with yourself. But for me personally, I feel better when I have make-up on, as it hides the fact that I am actually really sick underneath.

What products do you like to wear when you feel under the weather? Is there anything you would do differently?

Until next time...

xxxx

No comments :

Post a Comment