27 Feb 2014

too faced better than false lashes mascara VS model co fibre lash brush on lashes mascara

Hey guys!
 
Let me start of by telling you guys a little story. A long time ago, when I was in dance school, we would have these little concerts at the end of the year for the parents to see our progress. For this, our mothers would cake on our makeup so that we would look semi-better-than-normal for our five seconds on stage. And this one time, a girl put false lashes on, and had an allergic reaction to the glue. Which made her lashes fall out.
 
I have never worn false lashes because of this. What if I have the same reaction and all my lashes fall out? I can't deal with that kind of pressure! I love my eyelashes too much! So, as a result of being someone who avoids false lashes like the plague, I had to find an alternative. And I found it in fibre lash extension mascara.
 
I think there are so many high end and drugstore versions of fibre lashes mascara. Really, there is an option for every budget. I have tried ones mainly from the drugstore; think Maybelline and L'Oreal. While I like them, I don't really think that they are what a fibre extension mascara should be, not in my mind anyway. When I think of a fibre lash mascara, I envision a black mascara with a separate wand with the fibre lash extensions, and you combine the two to give you that false lash effect. After much searching for the one that would match my expectations, I was lucky enough to discover two mascaras that shared my vision.
 
Todays post will be a little comparison between these two: one is a high end option, and the other is a drugstore option. I have to say that I love that both drugstore and high end brands have these options - they really almost mirror each other in the final result and quality. But, I will review each one individually and then against each other so that you can see which one may better for you.
 
So without further ado, let me introduce the Too Faced Better Than False Lashes Mascara and the Model Co Fibre Lash Brush on Lashes Mascara!
 
Too Faced Better Than False Lashes

 
This was one of the first things I brought when I went to the US. It had been on my wishlist for so long, despite it having mixed reviews on other blogs and Youtube. From what I read, you either absolutely loved it, or absolutely hated it. As it is so expensive here in Australia, retailing at $52.95AU, I wanted to wait until I got to the US where I brought it in Sephora for $35USD.
 
This is advertised as a "... three step lash extension system that includes an activating mascara base and top coat and Flexistretch nylon lash fibers." It basically comes in a cute little box that houses two mascara tubes: one that has the activating mascara and one that holds the fibres. You are meant to first coat your lashes with the black mascara, so that the fibres have something to cling to. Once you have completed that, you go in with the fibre mascara, coat your lashes with that and then go back in with the activating mascara. Although it advertises itself as a three step system, you can keep repeating the steps until you are happy with the result.

 The box that holds the two mascaras. On the inside of the cover, there are instructions on how to use it.
A close up of the mascara tubes and their wands
What it looks like on my lashes using the three step system
 
Model Co Fibre Lash Brush on Lashes Mascara
 

When I told myself that I would be waiting for my US trip to buy the Too Faced version, I went in search of a cheaper alternative. In my local Woolworths, I discovered that they had recently started stocking Model Co Cosmetics, and I found this little gem as I was looking at the display. It was on sale at the time for $17AU as an introductory price, so I immediately brought one and took it home to try.
 
I tried to look up reviews of this mascara, but as far as I could tell, it was virtually unknown. This may be because not many actual stores stock the Model Co Cosmetic line (Priceline don't even stock them), and it is hard to judge something you've never used. It has a very similar application to the Too Faced mascara, except it is dual ended, one side holding the mascara and the other holding the lashes. Again, you brush your lashes with the mascara first, and then the fibre lashes. To lock it in, you the coat them again with the mascara. Unlike the Too Faced option, it doesn't promise a false lash effect in three steps, and when I use it, I do repeat the steps until I am happy with my lashes.
 
This retails in Woolworths for $21.45AU, but I do find that they regularly go on sale. On the Model Co website, it is priced at $19.95AU, and their website does ship to most countries. I am not sure if this is actually available in any US stores though. It's also really good for on the go, as it fits in my make up bag without taking up too much space.

 Close up of the mascara brush and the fibre extensions brush
What my lashes look like only using three steps.
 
So... What do I think?
 
These mascaras are both fantastic in their own right. I love both and I use both on a regular basis. But I have to say, I am a smidge more loyal to the Model Co Mascara than the Too Faced. Let me tell you why.
 
The Too Faced mascara I find is little harder to work with than the Model Co. I think this is because it is quite a wet formula, and I tend to go for the mascaras that have a drier formula as it just works better on my lashes. Wet mascaras tend to clump them, make it difficult for me to separate them and then make them more voluminous. They also make a bit of a mess around my eye area. I just find that the Model Co makes my lashes look great, really voluminous, but also makes them look natural while still giving me the appearance of fuller lashes. But if you are someone who prefers the wet formulas over the dry, the Too Faced is a great option for you.
 
The other reason I prefer Model Co, is that the fibre lashes in the Too Faced tube tend to fly around and get in my eye really easily. Which isn't fun. It hurts and itches, and it is really hard to get those little suckers out! The Model Co seems to dispense less fibres per application than the Too Faced, which fixes the issue, and also makes it more easier to build. Also, lets be real, its $30AU cheaper, which is always great in my opinion.
 
But, I digress. Both mascaras are great, they both work wonders and live up to their expectations. It is really up to you which one you would prefer to spend the money on.
 
Do you own either of these mascaras? What's your view on them?
 
Until next time...
 
xxxx

2 comments :

  1. i think you i may need to purchase the model.co one soon now! thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it! hehe :)

      Delete