3 Apr 2014

top five thursday: highlighter edition


Hey guys!

Its Top Five Thursday again! This time, I have chosen to do my top five highlighters. Typically, on an everyday basis anyway, I don't actually wear a powder highlighter. This is because I wear a dewy finish foundation on most days, so I don't usually need to add a highlight to give me that dewy glow that I need.

Lately though, I have been loving adding a liquid highlighter to my foundation to really make my base all radiant and glowly. It just gives that added boost I feel, especially when I may be feeling a little worse for wear. Because I am a full time university student, who also works part time and spends any spare time doing assignments or blog posts, my skin has been feeling a little tired and dreary of late. But, with a highlighter who needs to know that underneath that glowing, radiant complexion is a pale face with eye bags. Am I right?

Read on to see all about my top five highlighters!


Products pictured l-r: MAC Cosmetics Archie's Girls Pearlmatte Face Powder in Flatter Me, TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer, Revlon Photoready Skinlights in 001 Bare Light, TheBalm Cindy-Lou Manizer, MUA Undress Your Skin Highlighter

1. MAC Cosmetics Limited Edition Archie's Girls Pearlmatte Face Powder in Flatter Me

This is an amazing powder! Honestly, I was more excited for this collection than any other from MAC because I loved Archie comics as a kid. I brought most of the collection, but the hidden gems were these Pearlmatte face powders! Honestly, the other powder 'Veronicas Blush' is more of a highlighter, but this one is just so beautiful. Its a bronze pink shade, with coral pink hearts. I love to swirl them all together, and use it as a blush especially in summer. It gives such a lovely sheen to my skin, so it almost doubles as both a blush and a highlighter for me. But for darker skin tones, I can imagine this could work as a highlighter. This was limited edition, so unfortunately is not available in stores anymore. You can check makeup exchange sites or Ebay even if you would like to take the risk.


2. TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer

A cult favourite highlighter, this is definitely my go-to powder highlighter. It's a beautiful honey hued champagne shimmer colour, and it just works so well with my skin tone. You do have to be careful when using it though, as it can turn you into a disco ball very quickly. I put this lightly onto the tops of my cheekbones, the bridge of my nose and my cupids bow, and then with whatever is left on my brush I dust lightly onto my chin and the centre of my forehead. This retails for $34.95AU at David Jones stores, but you can also find it at select boutique online stores as well. 

3. Revlon Photoready Skinlights in 001 Bare Light

I got this in my Priceline 40% Off Cosmetics haul, and also featured it in my March Beauty Favourites. I adore this, I know use it pretty much everyday in order to get that boost of radiance and glow. It is just gives such a subtle glow. I wouldn't say you could use this by itself to achieve a highlighted look - it just wouldn't show up with you were to put it along the tops of your cheekbones and the length of your nose. But, it is perfect for mxing with whatever you are using as your base for the day just to give a radiance boost to your overall appearance. This retails for $29.95AU at Priceline stores, but I did get this on sale of $17.95AU.

4. TheBalm Cindy-Lou Manizer

This is the newer addition to the TheBalms range of highlighters, and it is a pink toned highlighter. And it is beautiful! In the summer time, this could probably be used as a highlight for tanned skin, but for my fair skintone I have been using it as a blush, just to get that sheen on my cheeks. It really makes my skin look so healthy! I would say its just gives that flushed look to my skin, without going overboard. In my opinion, it's similar to the colour and effect you get when you use Milani's Baked Blush in Luminoso, but with even more pigment This actually hasn't been released into the Australian market yet, but once it does, I assume it will be the same price as the Mary-Lou Manizer ($34.95AU). If you really cannot wait, you can search select online boutiques that stock TheBalm, I'm sure they would have it!

5. MUA Undress Your Skin Shimmer Highlighter

This is the best option for those on a budget. It is a pink toned highlight, and you just need to touch your brush into the pan to get the shimmer onto your cheeks. When put onto your skin, it has a subtle baby pink glow with lots of shimmer. And again, with the Mary-Lou Manizer, this really goes the longest way. I have had the highlighter for FOREVER and have barely made a dent in it. I can't recommend MUA products enough - they are seriously so affordable and such good quality for the price you pay. This retails for about $5AU, and is available to buy here.


Swatches for l-r: MAC Cosmetics Archie's Girls Pearlmatte Face Powder in Flatter Me, TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer, Revlon Photoready Skinlights in 001 Bare Light, TheBalm Cindy-Lou Manizer, MUA Undress Your Skin Shimmer Highlighter

So there you have it! Probably my most favourite highlighters would have to be both the Revlon Skinlights and TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer, just because they are so versatile, especially Mary-Lou. But, I have used all of these highlighters on a frequent basis for some time now, so you can trust that I really do love all of them ;)

What are some of your favourite highlighters? Let me know in the comments below!

Until next time...

xxxx

Click here to read last weeks edition of Top Five Thursday!


in between blogging, you can find me here!






5 comments :

  1. Hey! I have nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Check out my post and go along with the award to help promote your fellow bloggers! I personally love your blog which is why I nominated you. Keep up the good work. xoxo MynkaM

    http://www.mynkamstyling.com/2014/04/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thank you so mucn, will check it out now!

      xxx

      Delete
  2. I purchased highlighter online from Awesome bazar. Awesome Bazar provides best competitive prices product and fast delivery process . Really very nice service of awesome bazar, Awesome bazaar best Shopping destination . Find At https://awesomebazar.com/cosmetics/face/highlighter.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best ever post for enhancing our beauty and i became regular reader of your blog. Keep useful posting like this. Also try these websites nail polishes online shopping | Skin Brightening services at home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy you because of every one of your efforts on this web page. Kim takes pleasure in making time for internet research and it is obvious why. My partner and i notice all of the compelling ways you render worthwhile information by means of the web blog and in addition strongly encourage participation from some other people on this issue and my daughter is certainly discovering so much. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the new year. You have been conducting a very good job.
    face scrub Pakistan
    face scrub Pakistan

    ReplyDelete